Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Memorium




This weekend is the Memorial Day. I cannot begin to express my great respect that I have for former and present members of the military and the duty they perform.

Since the age of the Vietnam era, the liberals in the United States have taken an exceptionally high level of animosity, anger, hatred for the military. They complain about the killing they perform, when required. They want to use the military as a social services agency.

Yet, today's members of the military are far more selfless when you consider they are ALL volunteers. While I am not a fan of the premise of the movie "A Few Good Men," the statement made by Colonel Jessup:


Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.


Soldiers are trained to kill. Yes, kill. I want them on that wall. They VOLUNTEER to be on that wall. And because of all of that, they deserve our greatest respect. The ultimate respect is paid at Arlington National Cemetery. If you ever have the chance to visit the Tomb of the Unknowns - take it! It is an awesome presentation of respect.
















No comments:

Post a Comment