Wednesday, August 12, 2009

If they wrote a book about me

In a men’s Bible study at my church, we recently concluded looking at the life of David the king. As any church member will tell you there have been several books written about the life of David. Various bible studies look at David from different perspectives. Big, thick books analyze his life, his emotions, his decision-making processes, his military prowess, and on and on.

What if David had been warned early in his life that his life would be the template for Christian living for thousands of years into the future? What might have been his response to that warning? Might he have behaved differently? And yet, his moniker has traditionally been “the man after God’s own heart.”

What if we knew our life might go under the societal microscope hundreds of years into the future? Would we live differently now? Would we even care?

I doubt it!

For millions of us, our legacies will extend to our children and probably grandchildren and that will be about it. Children today live for the present. Respect for older generations has virtually disappeared. My own children have little understanding of who my grandparents were.

Which brings me to: how will my legacy be viewed by my children and grandchildren? My legacy would be defined by my relationship with God and how I presented that to the world as a whole.

I know there will be no books or bible studies based on my life. Following generations will only know me based on the words of my children. What will they remember about me? I am sure there will be many bad examples, hopefully not vocalized. There are many never-to-be-spoken by me regrets that I wish I had done better as a father. My hope is that my children will only remember the good.

But, in case somebody does write a book about my life, I expect some profit from it. You don’t know what I have gone through to live this example.

No comments:

Post a Comment