Saturday, February 14, 2009

Where have all of the superheroes gone?

Continuing the thought about men:
Where have all of the (super)heroes gone? Men need heroes. Men need role models that defend country, honor, women, children, and the right thing to do.

I had Superman. I had Batman. I had Roy Rogers. These were heroes that were more than just a guy doing the right thing for themselves. What they did was a part of life itself. Doing the right thing wasn’t for personal benefit. They did it because they understood it was bigger than life. For some, it meant saving the damsel in the old West. For others, it meant saving the planet and the human race. Either way, it was more than themselves.

This next statement will show if anybody is actually reading this blog. I will reveal a part of myself that few know about me. I doubt if my mom or brothers remember this. I used to find the biggest bath towel in the house and a large safety pin and became another superhero. Yes, I did this when I was growing up, not as an adult. I was out to save the world from evil villains also. I could get my cape to flow in the breeze. It was exhilarating. I used to walk with pretend six-shooters strapped on. I would make sure that my fingers curled slightly as did the good guys.

These were my role models. Fictional-yes! But they did it right. I wanted to be like them. Where are those heroes today? Superman and Batman now are borderline dysfunctional. They can’t deal with having an alter-ego. Bruce Wayne is probably an evil industrialist gaining wealth at the expense of his employees. Roy Rogers wouldn’t be allowed to have guns anymore. Or at least be sure that they are registered and have a license to carry a weapon.

The heroes of today are real life people: sports stars, wizards of wealth, politicians. The problem is that with these heroes you also have their faults. Their status is based on only what they do for themselves. They are not heroes to the bigger things in life. They are wrapped up in themselves.

Men (and young men) need to know that they can be the super heroes of today. Fight for the bigger things in life. Rid the world of crime, save the beautiful damsel, and still remain a humble man. That is what this world needs today. Boys need to put on the cape.

1 comment:

  1. to begin, you should have tried a bed sheet instead of a bath towel - larger and easier to flutter in the wind.

    I understand what you're saying. Currently at work there is a post in the bathroom asking you to name the top 10 wealthiest people, the past 5 best actors and actresses, and other shining momements. None of my co-workers are able to pass that.

    Then the post continues by asking you to name the 5 most insperational teachers, the 3 things you're most thankful for, 5 times when people have helped you out with a difficult/stressful situation. These are the types that are easily remembered and are our own personal heros.

    ReplyDelete