Monday, March 16, 2009

Church leadership

I will be the first to admit that the evangelical church is not perfect. It contains members that imperfect, but as is said, forgiven. I am one of them. Fortunately, you will not find a perfect Christian anywhere. Again, thankfully, we have a Savior that is very forgiving.

Because there are no perfect church members, there are many mistakes made within the church. Even by the leaders. Since I know hardly anybody reads what I write here, let alone even care about my opinion, I figure it’s time to vent. Hopefully, it will be cathartic.

Several years ago I taught in adult Bible studies in church. I know that sometimes my presentation style was not the best. I occasionally attended local conferences to help me. When I started attending my current church I would fill in sometimes teaching when the regular teacher was away on business. I enjoyed that schedule. Otherwise, I would open the class with small discussion, prayer, etc. prior to the lesson. Well, one couple felt the class structure needed changed. I was out. A year later I was asked to lead a Wednesday class one week before the class was scheduled to begin. I was upset. No time to plan or prepare. I asked to meet with the elders about this situation. I was upset that I was unceremoniously removed from my little position previously in ABS. Now I was asked at the last minute to lead a class. I said that was poor planning. At that point I was told by one elder that he was in one of my classes and said I was a poor teacher. Another elder said that he had heard the same thing. Another elder called me selfish for not agreeing to lead the Wednesday class. If they felt I was less than capable to teach, then why hadn’t they told me previously, I asked. They had no answer. I said that if they felt there were issues to correct, I could accept instruction. They apologized for not doing that. I asked for follow-up. Maybe there would be many others willing to be instructed on how to teach an interesting class. More than a year later not a word from any of them about follow-up. I finally went back to them and said never mind, I’m tired of waiting. At this point, one asked if I would be willing to submit to them for restoration. All I could do was chuckle. I had done everything right. Yet they were trying to come off as the righteous ones.

All this brings me now to today. More than a year after that last meeting, I still harbor feelings of bitterness. I tried to be faithful to this church and they dumped me. A couple of weeks ago the sermon was from Ephesians chapter 5. Part of the sermon asked about personal growth. “You should be teachers, yet you still need to be taught the basics.” I was thinking about those (me) that wanted to teach but leadership wanted nothing to do with. I sit in classes where other individuals are less competent than me – I don’t deny their passion to be there – and have heard the pastor endorse them. Yes. I am bitter. And I don’t need anybody to tell me that that is wrong, I know. I just wish they would at least make an effort to qualify uniformly who will stand in class to teach. If their responsibility is to protect the flock, then they should. If someone is teaching correct theology and is putting the class to sleep, how effective are they? Who is responsible for correcting the situation?

One last thing. This is definitely not intended to give reason for any person to avoid church. Any believer needs to be in attendance. Regularly.

I had to vent.



No comments:

Post a Comment