Monday, August 31, 2009

How did that injury happen??

Recently, I wrote about the life of King David and how his entire life has been under a microscope ever since by people in the church.

There is one event in David’s life that I feel akin to. That would be the famous story of David’s confrontation with Goliath. David had no problem identifying who the enemy was. He stood nine feet tall and daily challenged the Israelites. David took the challenge and won. David knew where the enemy was, what he stood for, how he was armed, and what his intent was.

The problem was that David had an unexpected opposition also. That came from his own family. David had no idea that he had to watch his backside. His brothers made fun of him, ridiculing what he planned to do. Rather than doing the mission the brothers were there to do themselves, they instead attacked their youngest brother.

I sometimes feel like David in that situation. Let me make the comparisons. Am I doing what God wants done? No. Am I facing down the enemy, confident that I can defeat him in God’s strength? No. Am I being attacked from behind by my own compatriots? I feel like I am.

There is a saying that the Christian army is the only one that attacks its own wounded. That is me. I feel I have been attacked from behind and left to slowly expire. I wrote nearly six months ago how my church leadership failed me. Since then, every Sunday I dread attending church. I thought several years ago I could dress and heal my own wounds. I was so wrong!

Unfortunately, when you go to church and somebody asks “How are you?” doesn’t really expect an honest answer from you. You see, if you are an introvert in a very outgoing church you are lost to the background. You are not necessarily looked down upon, but become part of the wall decorations. Remember Milton from the movie “Office Space.” He was always the object of abuse from his co-workers. Sometimes I feel like that character at church. I don’t seek out a lot of conversation with people and so I become a lesser choice from others, if a choice at all. I’m not the pretty folk. I’m not of the folk with glamorous careers. I don’t live in chosen neighborhoods.

I realize this sounds like a self-pity party. And it probably is. And, of course, I’m the only guest in attendance. But, nonetheless, a Christian shouldn’t have to worry about injury from behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment